In the rearranged Viking Cricket Cup 2nd round game on Sunday, Ollie Jackson took 6-20 in eight overs as Barnsley Woolley Miners bowled Whiston Parish Church out for 39 at Shaw Lane. The home side then knocked off the runs in 29 balls for a ten-wicket win. 
There were two fascinating games in the second round of the ExtraCover Insurance Whitworth Cup. At Melton Road, holders Sprotbrough beat Wath by two wickets. After being put in to bat, Ainsley Swallow, with 60 off 77 balls, pulled the visitors back into the game after they were 39-3. He dominated a fourth wicket stand of 96 with Patrick Selkirk (30) that enabled his side to post 181-7 – Sadrian Ward taking 4-39 for Sprotbrough. But the home side also made an uncertain start, and it was Ward, whose positive 62 off 49 balls, with solid support from Alex Rudkin (29), who swung the game the home side’s way. Bradley Williams (3-44) took the key wicket of Ward, and Sam Whitlam (2-19 in 7.4 overs) made the later batsmen fight all the way. Thanks to Ward’s quick-scoring, there was no overs pressure, and Sprotbrough had over six overs in hand when the ninth-wicket pair saw them home. 
At Green Lane, Aston Hall decided to bat first against Hallam, and clocked up an impressive 247-9 in their 40 overs. Nasir Omar (57) and Joe Stickland (40) got the home side off to a good start, and although Edward Burch (4-41) caused a middle order stutter, Lewis Sansome (35) and Adam Clarke (24) ensured that the early work was not wasted. Two early wickets from Tom Coulson put Hallam on the back foot, but Joe Cooper (56) oversaw a recovery from 28-3. Wickets were falling at fell at the other end, however, and when Cooper was bowled by Stickland it was 147-7. Robert Heyes (56 not out) and Burch (50 not out) then came together in an unbroken eighth-wicket stand of 102 to give Hallam a memorable win with three wicket and two overs to spare. 
At Chapel Lane, Jake Rodgers (4-31) and Liam Burkinshaw (3-33) bowled Warmsworth out for 174; Lewis Brown (53 off 37 balls) helped the visitors recover from 61-5, but Ben Simpson, with 103 off 94 balls led Green Moor to a comprehensive win with nine wickets and 14 overs to spare. 
In the President’s Trophy quarter-finals, there were comfortable wins for Oughtibridge War Memorial 2nds, who racked up 256-3 against Wath 2nds at Moor Road, Richard Everitt (88) and Joal Wakes (109 not out off 51 balls) adding 146 for the third wicket, before the home side fell 65 runs short despite an unbeaten 80 from Ben Roebuck and 52 from Charlie Miller; Stocksbridge, who reached 208-6 against Kexborough at Bracken Moor Lane, with Ben Cherry making 96, and then bowled their visitors out for 136, with three wickets each for Andrew Hibbert and Liam Grayson; Elecar 2nds, who beat Frecheville Community by 50 runs at the Hobson Bowl, with Kieran Higgins (77) and Jason Meadows (65 not out) leading the way to their 187-6; and Worsbrough Bridge, who bowled Darfield 2nds out for 148 at School Lane, despite Jonathan Parkin’s 84, with three wickets each for James Kennedy and Callum Bentley, and then reached their target with six wickets and 12 overs to spare. 
Share this post:
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings